Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Best Friend's Wedding


So I should probably write about Holli's wedding, considering she was married almost 3 weeks ago. Abe and Holli were married on April 1 in the San Antonio Temple. I arranged with my professors to miss classes so that I could be there for her. I flew out on Tuesday night, the night before the wedding, and didn't land in Texas until after midnight. I had a connecting flight in Phoenix, where my baggage got left behind. I should have been really stressed out, but I wasn't because I knew everything would be fine. I got my bags the next day when a flight flew in from Arizona. Holli's wedding was at 11 a.m. and my parents and I went a little early. It was nice to be in the temple, even though I couldn't actually be in the sealing room with them. I'm really excited because she will be able to be in the room with me in August. :)
It was so nice to see some of my old friends again. This is Abe's little sister, Leah, and one of my good friends. She's a senior this year and will be up at BYU in the fall. I couldn't believe how old she looked and how long her hair had grown. She is beautiful! And I'm glad she was there to keep me company outside the temple.

Mr. and Mrs. Lucero! Right when they came out of the temple.

I can't believe they are married! She has been in love with him forever.
My best friend.
And her husband. This blows my mind... still!
I didn't think that I was going to cry, because I've seen this coming for a long time and have had a while to prepare myself. But seriously... I cried all day. I cried when they came out of the temple. And then at the luncheon, when she walked into the room, I cried. I cried harder when I tried to give a toast as the maid of honor. I cried when they danced together for the first time at the reception, but I got myself together by the end of the song. It didn't matter because I cried more tears when she danced with her dad. And I was crying again when they drove away. People kept asking me why I was crying... and I honestly can't tell you. I think it was because she's my best friend and we've shared so many memories and the reality of us being grown-ups scares me. I think it was that it's hard to know that she has a husband to be by her side now and it's the end of our sleepovers. I think it's because it made me realize how soon my own wedding is and how unreal it was to watch my best friend do the same thing I'll do in a few months. I think it's because I am a really emotional, sentimental person and she's the first one to go. Maybe it's just because I am a girl and girls cry sometimes.

Dani, Holli's roommate from her freshman summer, came down to be a bridesmaid too. These are all of the girls who were able to be there for her wedding day.
I love love loved her bouquets! So pretty!


Holli's dress was so breathtaking. You can't really tell from the pictures. But if I look half as good in my dress as she did in her's, I'll be happy!
The reception was beautiful too. Her colors were totally her.

I sat there and watched them dance and was flooded with memories... of her excited eyes the first time she told me that she kissed him, of nights we spent together in the upstairs living room at her house, of basketball games at the park, of prom pictures, of letters she wrote and sent off to the west indies, of church functions and mutual nights, of haunted houses and truck rides, of dinners and dates and a million other little things. It was emotional for me to see her there in his arms and feel the happiness in the room. I wouldn't want anything less for her.


The picture says it all.

She was a beautiful bride and it was a beautiful day. I am so glad that I was able to be there and be a part of it all... I hope that her life is so happy and fulfilling. I hope that he takes good care of her... She is precious to me and I love her alot.


No comments: